Becoming A Member
You are hereby invited to join the Hampshire County Arts Council. Discover the wealth of creativity in our midst and help make Hampshire County an even more inspiring place to live. Support the further development of the arts in our community through your membership. Memberships renew on April 1 each year.
The Hampshire County Arts Council sees the arts as an integral part of daily life. An art-rich environment enhances the quality of life for residents and visitors, and encourages development, recognition and appreciation of local performers, musicians, artists and writers.
The Hampshire County Arts Council is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization, established to foster the practice and enjoyment of all the arts in our community.
Membership is open to everyone- whether you are actively involved in the visual, literary, or performing arts; or, you simply may enjoy the arts and wish to support them in Hampshire County.
Encouraging the Arts in our Midst
The Arts Council aims to encourage everyone participating in the arts to share their talents here locally and to nurture a creative exchange between and among the various artists in our midst, and in turn benefit the community at large.
Goals of the Hampshire County Arts Council include:
-increasing local opportunities for the display of visual artworks,
-presentation of the performing arts, and
-publication and public readings of literary works.
The Arts Council also organizes arts education programs for those active in specific arts, for local children, and for the community at large to expand appreciation for and understanding of the arts.The Arts Council has:
- Presented a wide variety of musical performers in concert throughout the year, including free summer Concerts on the Lawn, a coffee house, open mikes and community square dances.
- Organized exhibits of local visual artists' work, as well as periodic Art Auctions.
- Offered Summer Art Camp for Hampshire County children.
- Published Arts Action, a newsletter to inform members about coming activities and opportunities, and events of interest in nearby communities, to profile local artists, and to share information about resources.
- Launched a website (www.hampshirearts.org) to enhance communication and access to the arts
- Issued frequent Arts Alerts to share information about art activities and opportunities both in Hampshire County and in surrounding communities
- Hosted book signings by local authors, poets & illustrators, dramatic readings, poetry readings, public performances and school performances and workshops.
- Produced theater programs.
- Sponsored arts events for elementary and middle school students.
- Donated art books to the Hampshire County Library
- Organized sketch group outings.
- Served as the organizational umbrella for the Ice Mountain Writers and encouraged the formation of a local crafters guild.
- Sponsored an annual spring arts festival(no longer done) and assisted with the Mountain Rhapsodies program at the WV Schools for the Deaf & Blind.